Friday, July 5, 2013

Teenagers. Everything is so apocalyptic.

I remember seeing a preview for the film adaptation of Beautiful Creatures, within a few days, the book found its way into my cart at Target. I started the book on February 12 and finished it yesterday. So, it only took me about 4 1/2 months to read it!

That intro probably makes it sound like I didn't enjoy the book at all, but I actually really liked it. The first 250 pages were ROUGH. The authors kept hinting at a plot line, but it felt like it was never going to solidify. After reading the first 200 pages and struggling to decide whether or not to even keep reading it. So, I did what I never like to do and I Redboxed the movie. I hate to watch a movie before reading the book, but in this case I did it to see if the story was going to eventually get more interesting. After watching the movie, I decided to continue to read and after several more lackluster chapters, the story finally started to get good.

This book is very much like Twilight in the fact that the two "lovers" should never be together because one is mortal and the other is a supernatural being. This series, however is told from the male lead's perspective. He still gets sappy and says things like "I kissed her because I felt like I must. It was like breathing," and "Why did I think about her every second? Why was I so much happier the instant I saw her?" That lovey stuff is not written as often as it is in Twilight.

OK, I have to preface this with the fact that I am a crier. I cry in just about any movie or TV show that could possibly tug at your heartstrings. So, you've probably guessed that I cried while reading this book. Now I'm not talking about a Harry Potter cry, but there were some parts when Ethan was explaining what it was like to lose his mother and how hard it was for him and I did have some tears.

When I first started this book, I thought to myself that I probably wouldn't read the others but since I was already 200 pages in I had to finish the first one, but now I'm already 50 pages into the sequel! If you saw the movie but have not read the book, just know that even though the movie was alright (I'd give it a B-) the book was SO MUCH better. As I was reading the book, I found myself asking why they even felt the need to change certain things. It was kind of like The Lightning Thief movie, it was fine, but so different from the book when it really didn't need to be.

Here are my last words on this one: read it if you liked Twilight because I feel like it's kind of like it, but with a much cooler story. Witches > Vampires.


No comments:

Post a Comment