Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is."

This one isn't on my list, but I've wanted to read it for a long time since I'm such a fan of the movie. Last month I read, well listened to, Forrest Gump. It was just as endearing as the movie if not more.

Things I liked:

1. First of all, the man that read it did a great job in the dramatization. His southern drawl was excellent and he read as if he were an "idiot," in his words, not mine.

2. I loved all of the extra adventures that were in the book that weren't in the movie. Forrest gets to be an astronaut and live with a tribe of cannibals and play harmonica in a band and he becomes a chess champion and an actor and a professional wrestler.

3. I liked that Jenny's son was NOT Forrest's baby, but that she named him Forrest Jr. since they were such close friends.

4. I like that Forrest ends up playing in a band after he becomes a successful businessman. He has made it in the world and realizes he was happier just playing his harmonica, so that's what he does.

Things I didn't like:

1. Mostly that he had a potty mouth. I was kind of expecting the Forrest from the movie when I read it, but the book Forrest was quite a bit more vulgar than the film one.

2. Also, this isn't something I didn't like about the book, but now that I've read it, I wish the movie would have been more accurate and I wish it would have followed the book a little more closely.

Overall, I loved it. If you are a fan of the film, you should read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment