Finished #334, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz today and I absolutely devoured it. I read a total of 135 pages today. I couldn't put it down, or rather, I didn't want to. I have been such a fan of the film since I was a little girl and I played Dorothy in my elementary school production of The Wizard of Oz, but I've never read the book before. Shame on me, I know, because I'm an English teacher. But, now I've rectified that huge mistake and I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
There wasn't anything I didn't like, but one thing that was a little odd to me is that Dorothy is a rather flat
character. Judy Garland gave her so much more to love than was
included in the novel. Not that I didn't like Dorothy, she was just a
little bit boring, much more boring than the rest of her companions.
Even Toto was more interesting than Dorothy in some chapters.
Things I liked:
1. I loved the way Baum used color in the novel. I liked that each place that Dorothy went had a specific color associated with it. I also really liked that the Emerald City wasn't really green. It was an interesting twist that I didn't really expect. It was just another thing that made the people of Oz believe that the Wizard was this great magician that he actually isn't.
2. The irony of each of the companions wanting something they already have (brains, a heart, and courage). Each of those characters already have the thing they seek. The Scarecrow is constantly coming up with ideas to help the group, the Tin Woodman is very caring (he even cried and consequently rusts himself when he accidentally steps on a small bug) and the Cowardly Lion was always willing to protect the group.
While I was reading this book, I was reminded of a lot of details from Wicked (the novel). I have just started reading Wicked again and I am really excited to see all of the connections between Baum's original Oz and the expanded Oz that Maguire created.
I can't wait to read this book to my kids! Everyone should read this book!

No comments:
Post a Comment