Wednesday, February 13, 2013

As he spoke, his nose, long though it was, became at least two inches longer.

I finished Pinocchio this morning and it was really enjoyable. It was an incredibly quick read, I started it on Sunday, and finished it this morning (which is a Wednesday).

Things I liked:

1. The lessons it teaches. The Disney movie teaches that you shouldn't lie, yes, but the book is always better than the movie, right? There were so many great lessons about hard work and trustworthiness. If I have little boys, I will definitely be reading this book to/with them.

2. The brevity of the chapters. I think the longest chapter was 4-5 pages long, most were only 2-3. Also, each chapter had a heading telling the reader what was going to happen, kind of like the scriptures have.

3. How loveable Pinocchio is. He tries so hard to be good, but he just struggles. I think he is a great representation of people in general, but especially young people who know they should do certain things and obey their parents, but they are overcome with the need to rebel or do what they want instead. In that way, we see, in the end that Pinocchio is changed into a "real boy" because he finally does what he is supposed to do, he works hard and cares for others. What an excellent moral.

Things I didn't like, well, thing I didn't like:

1. The illustrations in this specific edition were way creepy looking.

This is a delightful collection of stories about a loveable puppet and I would recommend it to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment