I'll begin this post by saying that I haven't really ever been a HUGE fan of The Hunger Games series. I liked them fine, but I wasn't just itching to read the next one as soon as it came out. I began reading Mockingjay a few months after it came out and I couldn't get past the first chapter. I put the book down and told myself I'd try again later. Roughly two years later, I picked it up again. I got a little farther, I think I finished Part One, but when it was due at the library, I wasn't sad, and I returned it. So, last week, I was in the library and saw the audiobook and thought, I am GOING to finish it this time. It's going to happen. It happened today. I don't know that I've ever been more ready for a book to be over. DON'T READ FROM HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.
Things I didn't like:
1. I just felt so bad for Katniss, well really for all of the characters. It was like she/they could NEVER catch a break. It was just one thing after another and every time she turned around another one of her friends was dead. Firstly, I just wanted her suffering to end. Secondly, I was just getting sick of all of the depression. It was UNENDING.
2. I hate that she watched Prim die. That was just cruel.
3. That she didn't seem happy in the end. After it was all over, she still seemed depressed. But I guess who could be happy after watching their sister die because of a bomb created by your best friend, who also abandoned you. Not to mention that her mom couldn't stand to be in their home because of all of the memories, so they decided it would be best for her to stay and help in a hospital leaving Katniss with no family in that same place that her mom couldn't handle because of all of the memories. Even though her new life had begun, she still didn't seem happy, which was really sad.
Things I did like:
1. That Katniss created relationships with people she didn't think she ever would have. Joanna and Finnick are two really good examples. I'm glad she got to know them and even kind of create friendships with them. Plus, I liked her relationship with Haymitch more in this book than I remember liking it in the other two books. I guess I just liked Haymitch more in this one.
2. That she believed Snow at the end. I don't know why she did, but I'm glad she did. I don't know that I would have after everything that had gone down between the two of them. Also, I'm glad he died, too.
3. THAT SHE ENDED UP WITH PEETA!!! I've been Team Peeta from the very beginning. I just didn't really care for Gale at all. I think it's because Peeta has more of the characteristics of a person I would want to be with. Gale just seemed blah to me. However, I liked him more in this book than in the others.
So, there it is. My full opinion of the last installment of The Hunger Games. I will have to say I am very interested to see how they plan to recreate some of the things in the book for the movie. I just recently saw The Hunger Games movie for the first time and so as I was listening to this book, I kind of tried to picture the people from the movie in my head. All I can say is Jennifer Lawrence has her work cut out for her and I hope the odds are ever in her favor.

This is great. I actually loved that she watched Prim die. Yes - the saddest moment in the entire series, but it was so ironic. She entered the Hunger Games to save her little sister, but in the end, she died despite how hard Katniss worked. I really loved that element!
ReplyDelete